In 1955 Czechoslovakia and the USSR signed an agreement focused on the peaceful use of atomic energy. Just three years later, on what is now Slovakian territory, the construction of the Yaslovske Bogunice NPP A1 commenced.
In 1970, the intergovernmental agreement permitted the construction of two Bogunice NPP units with VVER-440 reactors, under the watchful auspices of both Soviet and Czechoslovak specialists. The industry was later boosted by the construction of two more Soviet designed reactors: Bogunice NPP and Mohovce NPP.
Construction of Mohovce NPP started in 1982. Both VVER-440/213 units became operational in 1999.
Today two power units with VVER 440/213 reactors are powering the Yaslovske Bogunice NPP.
Russian company TVEL has proven a reliable fuel provider Slovakian NPPs from the earliest days of operation.
Present supplies for the Bogunice and Mohovce NPPs are based on contracts signed in 2003 and 2008, both won after an open tender process.
Slovakian nuclear power plants supply 56% of the country’s electricity needs.